Office 365 Shared Mailbox Setup

I have been using Zammad in production for a few months now and it’s been working fine. I, however, want to add an Office 365 Shared mailbox to it, but I have been encountering errors with it.

I am using a user account with an Office 365 license and send permission setup to authenticate the shared mailbox, but it does not seem to authenticate successfully. Since I use 2 Factor Authentication on the user account, I had to generate an App password for Zammad. The shared email address is represented here as support@virtualapp.com and my user account is promise.preston@myapp.com.

My configuration is:

IMAP
User: promise.preston@myapp.com\support@virtualapp.com
Host: outlook.office365.com
Password: The generated app password for Zammad

SMTP
User: promise.preston@myapp.com
Host: smtp.office.com

Infos:

• Zammad version: Zammad v3.2.0
  • Zammad installation source: git repository source
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04
  • Browser + version: Google Chrome v77
  • Elasticsearch: Elasticsearch 7.x
  • Hosted on: AWS EC2 Medium Instance

Expected behavior:

• I expect the email address to authenticate appropriately using the credentials given since the user account has an Office 365 license and send permission setup to authenticate the shared mailbox account .

Actual behavior:

• When I input the IMAP settings below:

IMAP
    User: promise.preston@myapp.com\support@virtualapp.com
    Host: outlook.office365.com

I get the error LOGIN FAILED. I don’t know if the issue is because the user account and the shared mailbox have different domains promise.preston@myapp.com and support@virtualapp.com.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• Setup a new instance of Zammad
  • Setup an Offfice 365 shared mailbox
  • Try adding the Offfice 365 shared mailbox to Zammad

We use Zammad with Office 365 shared mailboxes. The solution is to reset the shared mailbox password. To do so go to your admin portal “active user” list (Users, NOT shared mailboxes) and search for suport@virtualapp.com

https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/Home#/users

Every shared mailbox is also listed as cloud only account and has a secret password. In this user list select the given account. In the popup pane there is a button called “reset password”. Give the account a secure password and note it down.

In Zammad email configuration you can use this password to login to the IMAP box of your shared mailbox. Host is outlook.office365.com / Start TLS = Yes / Port = 993 (maybe you need /INBOX as folder)

For sending you need a second account with a valid licence! This account needs to have “send as” permissons on the shared mailbox.

I hope this helps!

According to Microsoft Support – as of a few days ago – this is still not officially supported. It does work, but please note that it could change anytime without prior notice.

We use shared inboxes with a dedicated user (licensed) with send and read permissions without any issues.

BR wucherpfennig

As I said – not officially supported, but working (for now). :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.