Gsuite -> Gmail: IMAP problem - Zammad is not allowed to access the IMAP (unsecure app setting)

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 2.3.x
  • Used Zammad installation source/Operating system: zammad.com Hosting

Expected behavior:

Fetch all mails via imap from a gmail account (gsuite)

Actual behavior:

We cant fetch any incoming mails via imap. User, Password are correct and imap settings are the same like the error message. The problem appeard today.

Error message link:
https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754

The error message suggest that zammad is an unsafe app

unsafe

Hi,

I got some questions:

• do you have two factor auth enabled on you gmail account?
  • do you run a self-hosted version or a hosted? If hosted please provide the instance name, so we can have a look at the logs.

I run Zammad with an gmail account myself and it works fine. There is no need to set the “unsafe app” flag in your account. Which allows older|lower ssl certs/ciphers/keys.

regards
Johannes

• do you have two factor auth enabled on you gmail account?

Not activ und not forced

• do you run a self-hosted version or a hosted? If hosted please provide the instance name, so we can have a look at the logs.

Hosted and instance should be blaudirekt

Perfect, we’ll have a look

So, we took a look and it seems you are right.
We don’t support OAuth2 for gmail IMAP/SMTP. This means all IMAP/POP3/SMTP connection with username and password is “unsafe” for google, even over TLS/SSL. So you have to enable this setting (no matter if the client is Zammad or any other IMAPS/POP3/SMTPS client).
We will discuss this internally to enhance the support for this specific provider. If the support is there you have to register your app within google admin and then create the account within Zammad.
Which is a bit of a pain to.

In the meantime we will add this to documentation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.