Zammad no longer working after attempt to upgrade from 5.2.3 to 5.3 via docker-compose

• Used Zammad version: 5.2.3 to 5.3
  • Used Zammad installation type: docker-compose
  • Operating system: docker on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
  • Browser + version: Chrome Version 107.0.5304.107

Expected behavior:

• After running the commands to upgrade, the latest version of Zammad should be running without any issues.

Actual behavior:

• After running the update commands I now get the following errors in Containers > zammad-docker-compose_zammad-postgresql_1
    • FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
    • DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.6, which is not compatible with this version 15.1.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• These are the commands that I ran:
$ docker-compose stop
$ git pull
$ docker-compose pull
$ docker-compose up

I have been able to upgrade versions fine using these commands before but for this upgrade there seems to be a step I overlooked (or possibly a bug as this is a very new release).

It would appear that I need to update PostgreSQL but I am not exactly sure if that is the issue or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Let me write down some more logs as I think there might be something else going on:

(Note; prefix to all of these containers is Containers > zammad-docker-compose_zammad)

• websocket_1 - waiting for init container to finish install or update…
  • backup_1 - waiting for railsserver to be ready…
  • scheduler_1 - waiting for init container to finish install or update…
  • nginx_1 - waiting for init container to finish install or update…
  • railsserver_1 - waiting for init container to finish install or update…
  • init_1 - zammad railsserver waiting for postgresql server to be ready…
  • redis_1 - (no apparent errors)
  • memcached_1 - Signal handled: Terminated.
  • postgresql_1 - The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.6, which is not compatible with this version 15.1.
  • elasticsearch_1 - (no apparent errors)

If I am reading into this correctly, most servers are depending on init_1 whish is depending on postgresql_1; which is trying to read from an incompatible database. So I need to convert the database to be compatible?

On a related note… is there an easy way I can downgrade to 5.2.3 until I can get this sorted out?

1 Like

I just did the same, but not in docker environment.
There have been some error in the upgrade, resulting in a partially migrates postgresql db schema.

after a dpkg-reconfigure zammad and a reboot everything seems to be working ok again

Hey mcayc,
i run into the same issue with my docker-compose installation. You have to convert your database to be able to work with new postgresql image.

This is what helped me out: Release v6.0.0 · zammad/zammad-docker-compose · GitHub

Thank you so much @FloA ! I will follow the steps in the link you sent.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.