Use zammad during searchindex:rebuild?

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 4.0.0
  • Used Zammad installation source: (source, package, …): deb package
  • Operating system: Debian 9
  • Browser + version: ALL

After update to version 4 I realized thatI had to update the elasticsearch from 5.6 to 6.8.15
After reinstallation of the plugin in elasticsearch, everything worked again. I stopped zammad and run

zammad run rake searchindex:rebuild

Could I start the service during the rebuild? And can/are the users allowed to work?

Is there any way to see how far the process has progressed? I am already tracking the elasticsearch.log and am currently at “reload tickets” … but how long this will take I can’t estimate.

A bit too late for this use case now, any way.
Most of the times it’s not required to stop Zammad during a rebuild at all. If you want to do that’s fine, you can start Zammad as soon as it did create the indexes.

After this output to be more precise:

root@zammad:~# zammad run rake searchindex:rebuild
drop indexes...done
delete pipeline (pipeline)... done
create indexes...done
create pipeline (pipeline)... done
reload data...
[...]

No sorry there is no such information.
In general reindexing will take longer the older and bigger your installation gets.

Most crucial factor in that moment is storage I/O.
Zammad does work during rebuild, the only thing that is not completely available is the search function / reports for the time being. This usually isn’t a too big issue for current tickets.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer.

After about 2h the rebuild was done. I started the service about 5 minutes before the end with the assumption that simply the search would not work. But until I informed everyone that they can work carefully again, the rebuild was also finished :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, thanks for your detailed answer.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for the information.
I just made the update and my rebuild is working for 90 min now.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.