Upgrade and migration from Version 2.9.0 (dockerised)

• Used Zammad version: 2.9.0
  • Used Zammad installation type: docker-compose
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04
  • Browser + version: Chrome 124

Looking for documentation to assist in the upgrade/migration from 2.9.0 docker-compose version to package install version.

Can people please post links to documents that can assist please? I am looking at the suggestions posted on the right hand side so long but if anyone has good documentation suggestions. I would be most greatful :slight_smile:

Yeah… well… no offense but you’ll have to dig yourself through the GitHub - zammad/zammad-docker-compose: Zammad Docker images for docker-compose Repo.
The compose has been adjusted and changed so much that there’s no guide or complete how to. I’d say backup, restore via the numerous stable mayor versions you’re missing out would be the best approach. 2.9 is from 2019… that is… old.

Also make sure to read all release notes during your upgrade before updating as you may encounter breaking changes and very important changes you should be aware of before.

Hi @Kwen,

since you want to migrate to a Zammad package install, what you need to do is, get your data out of your 2.9 docker-compose install and migrate that into a 2.9 package install.

From there, you’re going to have to follow a step-by-step upgrade path, going from major version to major version (never upgrade Zammad skipping over the next major version, ever). You’re most likely also going to have to upgrade your chosen distribution along the way, as packages for 2.9 won’t be available for the latest versions of (e.g.) Debian or Rocky, and packages for the current stable (6.3) aren’t available for old distros.

Our official documentation can be useful for you here (see links below), but please be aware of the fact that our current documentation is regarding current Zammad versions. Especially the backup/restore part might have to be performed manually, because the scripts may or may not work.

In any event, please have snapshots and backups so you can recover should something go awry during the process.

Good luck!

Links:
Zammad Docs: Install From Package
Zammad Docs: Backup and Restore
Zammad Docs: Updating Zammad

1 Like

Thank you so much Mr Generation, getting down to it.

Thanks… I knew it was coming!! Just needed a basic outline of the pain.

You guys are champions :slight_smile:

2.9.0 package install anyone? :roll_eyes:

This will help you. You’ll fiddle the rest I’m sure.

Is packager"dot"io safe? That is the official repo right?

The documentation states it’s the repository to use… right…?

Hi again :slight_smile: Forgive me if this is a dumb question and I think this forum doesn’t support docker installs… :face_with_peeking_eye:

Wouldn’t using docker tags going from version 2.9.0 to 3.0 and so on be easier?
When I reach 6.x I then take a backup from the backup container and restore it to my new install of Ubuntu 22.04 Zammad 6.x package install?

Sure, you can try that, as well. The world is your oyster. :slight_smile:

I’m going to refer back to my original suggestion to have backups/snapshots of your production data before you do anything. Then you can safely try all the roads that may or may not lead to Rome.

Please understand that we cannot offer any more specific advice on how to get such an old version up to the latest stable. If you need professional (i.e. paid) support, you can always drop us an email at sales@zammad.com. My colleagues will be more than happy to make you an offer.

Should you choose that route, I promise you, I will then very much deeply and in detail investigate how to get your docker-compose 2.9 safely and cleanly into package 6.3. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I would like to get paid support but I live in Zimbabwe and things are not good here at the moment. I have a client that needs the support and I have the time and need the work! Failing my best effort I might just request help.

I am using a VM with a copy of the production system on it, I am not a Linux guru but enjoying using and learning the system.

Thanks again for the help! :sunglasses: