Untrapped exception in pythonfilter

Since on Github it was meant to be no bug, I try it here.

• Used Zammad version: 3.4.x
  • Used Zammad installation source: package
  • Operating system: Debian 10
  • Browser + version: FF 80.0.1

Expected behavior:

• Registering an SMTP mail server

Actual behavior:

• The Error message: 451 4.3.0 pymilter: untrapped exception in pythonfilter

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• Entering mail data in e-mail notifications in the same way as for e-mail accounts

I only get this error when I enter the mail server at “E-Mail Notification”, but when I enter the same server with the same data at “E-Mail Accounts”, I don’t get an error message:

afaik zammad is a rails based project no python involved.

What you are probably seeing is the error from the remote smtp server?

why should the remote server display an error on “E-Mail Notification” but not on “E-Mail Accounts”?

probably a different email handler, dont know I’m new here too.

Are you very sure the user/pass is exactly the same?

yes i am 100% sure, i have use Copy/Past

its most likely the result = EmailHelper::Probe.outbound(params, email)

which seems to get called in notifications only, yep 99% sure thats it… so it is probing your remote server which is a python service and its not been configured correctly. So best contact the provider

Ok I asked the provider once, even if I do not understand it.

Welcome to the Community.

I see that you’re using a netcup mail server apart a custom mail server.
Not sure if this also fits the email server you provided in above configuration.

After having a search for above mentioned error message, I quite directly ended up on the netcup forum (german).

To make it short:
The issue another user had was that the user was using a different email address from the user he authenticated. It seems like netcup is picky about such situations.

So:
Ensure that your outgoing mail address is correct.
As you’re configuring a notification channel in this case, by default your notification sender will be noreply@{your-zammad.fqdn}. This may not always be fitting and may need adjustment.

You can find further information regarding this topic here:

I also noticed that the docs aren’t clear enough about above fact which is why I currently am preparing an enhancement on this.

1 Like

Hello,

thanks for your answer.
So the Notification Sender mail address is always used automatically during registration?

Yes and no, that depends on how you setup the user account in question.
The notification channel and its mails mainly affects your agents (e.g. new ticket mails) or when a using wants to change the password of the account.

A more complete list can be found here:
https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/manage/trigger/system-notifications.html

Sorry I did not make myself clear.
If I set up a SMTP server for notification, I only need a mail server, username and password.
Does Zammad also check the address entered in the “Notification Sender” field when registering the SMTP server?

Ok before you enter the SMTP server for the notifications you have to set the address at “Settings -> Notification Sender” to the correct mail address.
I don’t understand what this has to do with the login to the SMTP server, but then it works without problems.

Thanks for the food for thought @MrGeneration

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.