Ticket update via email not working

• Used Zammad version: 5.3.1-1673513898.e8e9d825.focal
  • Used Zammad installation type: (source)
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
  • Browser + version: Chrome + Version 113.0.5672.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Expected behavior:

• Ticket should be update via email.
    If user reply on email then it should be update in ticket

Actual behavior:

• Ticket should be update via email but this is not happening.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

Questions

• It sounds like when customers reply to an email sent by Zammad, their reply isn’t showing up in Zammad. Is this true?
  • I’m going to assume that Zammad is still able to send outgoing emails, and that this problem is only for incoming emails. Is this true?
  • I’m also going to assume that new tickets are not able to be created by incoming email, as well. Is this true?
  • If you check the monitoring page in Zammad, does it list any issues?

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/system/monitoring.html

Next Steps

You’ll want to review the configuration of your inbound email channels. There’s different channels depending on whether you’re using IMAP, Microsoft Office 365, or Google.

Here is the relevant documentation for email channels:

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/channels/email/index.html

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/channels/microsoft365/index.html

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/channels/google/index.html

It sounds like when customers reply to an email sent by Zammad, their reply isn’t showing up in Zammad. Is this true? - Yes this is the issue

I’m going to assume that Zammad is still able to send outgoing emails, and that this problem is only for incoming emails. Is this true? - Yes this is the issue

After setting up inbound email channel do i need to set any trigger for this ?

After setting up inbound email channel do i need to set any trigger for this ?

Triggers are not required for inbound email to work.

Once inbound email channel is configured, inbound emails should be creating new tickets:

You may also want to check what email address is configured on the Group. I think this only affects outbound emails sent from tickets being worked in that group though, so I’m not sure this is a factor in your problem:

Only new tickets are creating.
when customers reply to an email sent by Zammad, their reply isn’t showing up in Zammad.
this is the issue.

when customers reply to an email sent by Zammad, their reply isn’t showing up in Zammad.

Can you show me an example of an email sent by Zammad, but the reply is not added to the ticket?

If the customer is receiving a System Notification email and is trying to reply to this email, that might explain the problem.

The system email uses noreply@example.com by default. And customers would probably only be getting email notifications from this address if you are sending emails using Triggers.

I would also check the email address on the group.

Just a side note to make sure…

Answering to notification mails (I’m not talking about trigger based Mail!) is not supported by Zammad.
Even if you workaround this, it will behave unexpected and will not update the customer with your mail by default. It’s discouraged to work this way.

Are you able to provide the reasoning behind this decisions and discouragement? It would be incredibly useful for our users who are primarily using their email clients to manage workflows and initially respond to Zammad tickets.

Right now, our agents are force to either:

1. Reply to the email notification, but change the recipient to the appropriate group email
  2. Navigate to the web page to make the necessary changes and responses

This is not my decision but a info to you, an admin / user that this approach is not supported by Zammad as software. That use case just technically isn’t in the current scope as is.

I’ve said it quite often and even pointed it out on my response.
So the usual desired use case of an agent is this: Replying to an agent notification which then will find it’s way to the ticket and automatically cause a mail response to the customer of the ticket.

And this is where the issues start.
Not just due to proper parsing of mail content etc but also on how creating replies in Zammad works.

You can have hundreds of recipients in the same ticket - it always depends on the article you’re using. Zammad would have to decide who to reply to - that’s not a logic it has right now.

I personally think that Zammad lacks so much more important features than “replying to agent notifications” right now.

I just don’t understand your first point.
That being said I have no idea what you’re trying to achieve. Even replying to a group email address won’t write an email to your customer. So what’s the use case here? Adding input as a note for others? Then you’re doing it wrong too (because you’re using communication typed articles for it).

You see, your use case and description is not clear enough to understand what you’re trying to achieve and (possibly) out of scope of this thread. A notification as of now is only an information. That comes from someone that is working 6 days per week in Zammad, for the whole working day. The only email and WebApp notification I receive is for crucial groups (new tickets) and ticket escalations. That’s it.