• Used Zammad version: 6.2.0.1
  • Used Zammad installation type: docker-compose
  • Operating system: Debian-12.5
  • Browser + version: Chrome

Expected behavior:

• SMTP settings are not changed
  • sending and receiving works

Actual behavior:

• at a customer we had it several times that Zammad “loses” the correct mail password for the IMAP/SMTP account
  • “SMTP fatal error”
  • if I re-enter the password, it works again

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• sending mails from zammad
  • things fail
  • re-enter password
  • it works again

Is it possible to configure the SMTP/IMAP-settings via docker env-variables?
Maybe that makes them “more permanent”.

Hi @sgw. This is not possible AFAIK. You need to figure out what is happening that the correct mail password is lost.

thanks. We use GitHub - zammad/zammad-docker-compose: Zammad Docker images for docker-compose … I still haven’t found the logs in there … maybe you have a pointer? Just looking at docker-compose logs ?

Zammad definitely does not “loose” passwords on it’s own. Either the password changes or someone is fiddling around.

I would assume that also.
That’s why I asked for the path of the relevant logs, thanks.

docker compose logs sounds good to me, but I have no clue what you expect to be able to read there.

We hit the same issue again right now.

Sending emails failed … only setting the password again fixed it.

Nobody here fiddles with the email-settings. This is strange.

EDIT: the customer now changes the password to something shorter and more simple. The pw so far contained various special chars etc … sure, shouldn’t matter, but what else to try?

It might be related to one of the mail-aliases used.
In the logs of the zammad-scheduler I find a SMTP-error:

550 5.7.60 SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

but unfortunately I can’t see which sender.

The SMTP-server used is an Exchange 2016, we digged through the logs but haven’t yet found the exact lines.

When we edit (and test) the SMTP settings in Zammad things succeed, later on it fails … We keep an eye on it.

Actually Zammad should only send with one single “identity” in our case. We still observe and search for the exact reason.

We use one account info@my.tld for receiving and sending, and ~6 aliases for receiving the mails. The groups are all configured to send with the primary info@my.tld adress.