Problems during migration from OTRS 4.0 to Zammad

Dear Zammad-Community,

hope you can help:

Infos:

Zammad Machine

• Used Zammad version: Zammad 3.6

• Used Zammad installation source: RPM

• Operating system: SLES 12.5

• Browser + version: Chrome 87.0.4280.88 (64-Bit)

• Additional: 4 Cores, 12 GB RAM

OTRS Machine

• Used OTRS version: OTRS 4.0

• Used OTRS installation source: RPM

• Operating system: SLES 11.4

• Browser + version: Chrome 87.0.4280.88 (64-Bit)

• Migrator Module Version: 4.1.11

• Migrator Repo Version: 4.0.25

• Additional: Virtual Machine with 16GB RAM, 4 Cores

Expected behavior:

• Imports all Tickets (round about 5,5k) from OTRS to Zammad.

Actual behavior:

Tried two hardware configurations for the OTRS virtual machine, each results in different errors.

** 2 Cores, 2 GB RAM, 1 GB Swap **

• Round about 2,1k of 5,5k gets imported into Zammad.
  • Threads dying due to out of memory error until no thread is alive anymore, than the whole process closes himself.

Tried to incease the amount of Memory and Cores of the OTRS Machine to prevent the memory error and a lack of performance.

** 4 Cores, 16GB Ram, 1 GB Swap **

• After 600 Tickets, the OTRS Machine is responding very slow (ssh session, enter commands).
  • The OTRS Migrator throws ReadTimeOut Errors, because the load on the OTRS Machine is very high:

thread#6: ERROR: #<Net::ReadTimeout: Net::ReadTimeout>
#<Thread:0x00005597f4e270c0@/opt/zammad/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logging-2.2.2/lib/logging/diagnostic_context.rb:471 run> terminated with exception (report_on_exception is true):
Traceback (most recent call last):
9: from /opt/zammad/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logging-2.2.2/lib/logging/diagnostic_context.rb:474:in block in create_with_logging_context' 8: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs.rb:102:in block (2 levels) in threaded_import’
7: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs.rb:102:in loop' 6: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs.rb:108:in block (3 levels) in threaded_import’
5: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs.rb:144:in imported?' 4: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs.rb:150:in import_action’
3: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:35:in load' 2: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:80:in request_result’
1: from /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:93:in request_json' /opt/zammad/lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:133:in post’: Zammad Migrator returned an error (RuntimeError)
Traceback (most recent call last):
9: from lib/import/otrs.rb:102:in block (2 levels) in threaded_import' 8: from lib/import/otrs.rb:102:in loop’
7: from lib/import/otrs.rb:108:in block (3 levels) in threaded_import' 6: from lib/import/otrs.rb:144:in imported?’
5: from lib/import/otrs.rb:150:in import_action' 4: from lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:35:in load’
3: from lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:80:in request_result' 2: from lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:93:in request_json’
1: from lib/import/otrs/requester.rb:133:in `post’
RuntimeError (Zammad Migrator returned an error)
irb(main):007:0> thread#1: ERROR: #<Net::ReadTimeout: Net::ReadTimeout>
…
(Content Collapsed)
…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

Not exactly reproducable. Tried multiple times with same Settings and the appearence of the Errors are each time different.

Now i want to ask, if it is possible to reduce the amount of threads which gets generated, to reduce the parallel workload.

I would be happy about every suggestion you have for me :slight_smile:

Yes it is!
Had to dig a bit into the code but could find the part where it lifes.

This part hints on how to use it:

By default Zammad seems to use 8 threads which my be an issue on some systems:

So in your case you’ll want to run a console based import (according to: Migration from OTRS — Zammad System Documentation documentation)

Instead of Import::OTRS.start you’ll want to run Import::OTRS.start(threads: 2).
Please keep in mind that this may drastically increase import duration. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Hello MrGeneration,

thank you very much, thats exactly what I searched for. It worked very well.

I guess this topic can be closed as solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.