Password Reset/New Customer Emails Not Working

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: This is Zammad version 3.1.x
  • Used Zammad installation source: Package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04
  • Browser + version: Chrome/Firefox Latest

Expected behavior:

Emails get sent to user requesting a password reset and/or new customer is registering.

Actual behavior:

Logs show that the e-mails was sent, but the e-mail is never received.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

Register a new customer and/or request a password reset

Here are the logs:::
I, [2019-10-14T22:03:31.772174 #9621-70270775047780] INFO ā€“ : Started POST ā€œ/api/v1/users/password_resetā€ for 192.168.1.105 at 2019-10-14 22:03:31 -0500
I, [2019-10-14T22:03:31.805863 #9621-70270775047780] INFO ā€“ : Processing by UsersController#password_reset_send as JSON
I, [2019-10-14T22:03:31.806100 #9621-70270775047780] INFO ā€“ : Parameters: {ā€œusernameā€=>"mrnervus@gmail.com"}
I, [2019-10-14T22:03:31.860370 #9621-70270775047780] INFO ā€“ : Send notification to: mrnervus@gmail.com (from:Notification Master noreply@portal.knockturnlabs.com/subject:Reset your KnockTurn Support Station password
)

I DO WANT TO NOTE that I can receive ALL e-mails via ticket creations, updates, etc. It only seems to be related to user creation & password resets.

Can you please check your mail server log files?
Because from that point of Zammad log the mail has been sent out.

Possibly a temporary issue (if youā€™re using sendmail), your system log files should be helping here.

Does the exact same mail address receive ticket notifications and stuff?
If you canā€™t check, if your agent mail address is not on gmail, that might be the difference and issue youā€™re looking for.

Please note that Zammad uses the system notification address for those mails, this normally just affects agents, but in this case customers as wellā€¦

Hey MrGeneration!

I have SMTP setup via O365 as my outbound mail server, therefore Iā€™m not using sendmail or postfix (packages are not installed on server).

This same e-mail DOES receive ticket notifications and stuff. This e-mail is what Iā€™m using to ā€˜testā€™ things before I start on-boarding my clients.

I noticed that the system e-mail was sending via ā€˜no-reply@172.172.0.6ā€™, so I changed the domain name to ā€˜no-reply@knockturnlabs.comā€™ thinking that was the issue ā€“ but no luck.

Iā€™d love to find a spot to check for additional logs, but it seems like the e-mails are getting fired off & then just lost. Iā€™ve also tried using 3 different e-mail address (gmail, hotmail, outlook) to create new users, and they do not receive the ā€˜new userā€™ creation e-mails, or ā€˜password resetā€™ emails.

However, they are created in the database as users.

Any thoughts?

facepalm

Disregard this. I just noticed that thereā€™s an entirely separate ā€œEmail Notificationsā€ configuration in the ā€˜Emailā€™ tab.

I set THIS to also use SMTP via O365 and things are working as expected.

Sorry for this wild goose chase!

1 Like

No worries!

For the future (and just the reference itself):
Trigger based Notifications are being sent via the mail address defined in the group (if not set, it wonā€™t be sent). These mail addresses rely on E-Mail-Accounts configured.

All agent notifications (new ticket, updated ticket, etc) and also system notifications like ā€œpassword resetsā€ are being sent via the system address which is itā€™s own channel (out only). This can either be sendmail or smtp depending on what you need. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll have a look at the docs later on and will check if we can enhance these parts to make that clearer to help further in the future. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.