Actual behavior:

• Error “This website can’t be reached”

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• Check nginx status → See error
  • Restart Server
  • Adjust zammad.conf
  • re-upload SSL cert

Hey everyone,

I’m stuck at further troubleshooting the nginx error we do see on our Zammad server.
This night we’ve received a couple of new tickets that led me to the conclusion that the server did not run properly.
After checking the Mail (M365 Accounts) I’ve noticed that 2 of 5 are showing the IMAP error. Trying to reconnect did not do the trick.
So I decided to reboot the server. Unfortunately since then the website can not be loaded.

I’ve then restarted Zammad service several times with no success.
Thought it might be related to Disk Space and deleted all production.log files - no change either.

Checked nginx and noticed an error regarding the SSL certificate chain. No idea why - the certificate was renewed weeks ago and was working ever since. It’s valid till 2025.
However, I’ve reuploaded cert+chain and private key.

Nginx doesn’t show the SSL error anymore, but won’t start also.
We do see the following error message:

nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2024-07-06 08:29:46 UTC; 10s ago
Docs: man:nginx(8)
Process: 10884 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 06 08:29:46 b005cvs000012 systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server…
Jul 06 08:29:46 b005cvs000012 nginx[10884]: nginx: [emerg] socket() [::]:80 failed (97: Address family not supported by protocol)
Jul 06 08:29:46 b005cvs000012 nginx[10884]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
Jul 06 08:29:46 b005cvs000012 systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 06 08:29:46 b005cvs000012 systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Jul 06 08:29:46 b005cvs000012 systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.

No changes to either nginx.conf or zammad.conf were done in the past couple of weeks.

I do not know, wether the Hosting / FW team have made changes to IPv6 or so. Zammad server is configured not to use IPv6.

Anyone seen the same / similar issues and can point me in the right direction?

We’re running on Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS, see details below.
Need to have the server up and running for a few more weeks, migration to Ubuntu 22.x is in talks.

NAME=“Ubuntu”
VERSION=“20.04.6 LTS (Focal Fossa)”
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME=“Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS”
VERSION_ID=“20.04”

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best,
Matt

Problem solved - no clue what caused the issues, but here’s what we did to get it up and running again.

• VSphere Restore to backup from Thursday, last week (when GUI was still online)

• ipv6 still disabled for the system

• edited zammad.conf and commented out the following lines:

listen [::]:80

listen [::]:443 ssl http2;

Restarting nginx.service - succesful

Zammad GUI still says bad gateway, website not reachable

Checked running services and noticed that zammad-web-1.service failed to start.
Restarting the service also failed.

Checking the status of zammad-web-1.service:
Error pointing to service.pid file

Deleted that file and restarted the service - successful
Restarting nginx.service - successful

Website reachable

We then restarted the whole system and everything seems working again.

As the last server update was done quite a while back we have no clue what caused that issue. System hasn’t been rebooted since.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.