Is Zammad thread safe when using Puma?

Hi All,
Looking at the Zammad code I see several models using class variables, which are not thread safe.
If the application server is not multi thread I think that there is no problem, but if Puma is used as the application server could occur a race condition, when two or more threads try to access the same class variable, am I correct? If not, what am I missing out on this?

Thanks,

Hi @josefsmvm - can you give a practical example? We are not aware of any race conditions.

Hi @thorsteneckel, yes I can give you an example. I pulled Zammad from github, master branch, and used the Scheduler model to do test.

Scheduler uses the class variable @@jobs_started to keep track of the jobs. In non multithread environment I think there is no problem because this variable is exclusive to the process started by the application server. But Puma starts a new thread for each request in the same process, so the variable is shared among them. To simulate that behaviour I started a rails console and used the below code:

Thread.new { jobs = Scheduler.class_variable_get(:@@jobs_started); puts "Thread1: #{jobs.object_id}"; jobs[1] = '11'; puts "Thread1: #{jobs[1]}"; sleep 3; puts "Thread1: #{jobs[1]}" }; Thread.new { sleep 1; jobs = Scheduler.class_variable_get(:@@jobs_started); puts "Thread2: #{jobs.object_id}"; jobs[1] = '22'; puts "Thread2: #{jobs[1]}" }

The result was:

Thead1: 47318324424760
Thead1: 11
Thead2: 47318324424760
Thead2: 22
Thead1: 22

We can see that the object id of the variable is the same, thread 1 changes the hash to 11 and sleeps to allow thread 2 to change it to 22, at the end thread 1 puts the hash value and it was changed to 22. So, the variable is shared among threads in the same process. I didn’t test other models, but I see class variables in Setting and Channel.

Hash is also not thread safe, and the variable is a hash. I don’t know what would happen if the two codes below, extracted from Scheduler.rb, were executed at the same time in two threads:

def self.threads
  @@jobs_started[ job.id ] = start_job(job)  <= This code in one thread
end

def self.skip_job?(job)
    thread = @@jobs_started[ job.id ]
    return false if thread.blank?

# check for validity of thread instance
    if !thread.respond_to?(:status)
      logger.error "Invalid thread stored for job '#{job.name}' (#{job.method}): #{thread.inspect}. Deleting and resting job."
      @@jobs_started.delete(job.id)  <= This code in another thread
      return false
    end
end

This is the reason why I put this question. I think it is very difficult to identify this kind of situation in production. Please, correct me if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Hi @josefsmvm - you’re right about this. At least partially: These wouldn’t be thread safe. However, the scheduler is running in a separate process - outside of puma. These variables are on purpose not thread safe (to manage the running jobs by the scheduler dispatcher).

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.