Imminent changes to the Twitter API platform

I got this email from Twitter today… Does anyone know what needs to be done in order for Zammad to continue to use Twitter messages from customers?

We'd like to remind you of some important and imminent changes to the Twitter API platform to ensure you understand what is happening. The following endpoints are set to be sunset and will be turned off on August 16th, 2018.

• User Streams
• Site Streams
• GET direct_messages
• GET direct_messages/sent
• GET direct_messages/show
• POST direct_messages/new
• POST direct_messages/destroy

On and after this date, new connections to User Streams and Site Streams (including control endpoints) will no longer be accepted, and requests to the legacy DM endpoints will return errors.

We have new endpoints and services available that provide similar access and, for Direct Messages, some additional functionality:
• Account Activity API enterprise and premium
• GET direct_messages/events/list
• GET direct_messages/events/show
• POST direct_messages/events/new
• POST direct_messages/events/destroy

We have two migration guides to help with this transition, and we encourage you to start this migration as soon as possible:
• Account Activity API Account Activity API migration guide for those going from User Streams and Site Streams to our new webhooks based service
• Direct Message migration guide for those migrating between Direct Message REST endpoints 

This link goes into more detail about Twitter’s Direct Messages API

This is something you cannot change. This has to be done by the devs for zammad - as this change is an API change that zammad uses. I’ll try to remember that tomorrow and get some input for that. :slight_smile:

ok, thank you, that would be great!

One thing that did catch my eye from the twitter overview was…

Support for media attachments (image, GIF, and video).

Which I assume means that agents in Zammad would in principle be able to use the add attachment option when replying to messages in Twitter?

I’m currently working on the migration to the new API. The capabilities of the integration won’t change for now. But we will improve it later :rocket:

Cool, thank you for the update…

How is the migration coming on? Is it included in version 2.6?

It’s not integrated within 2.6, as the changes are a bit more complicated. You can find the complete Changelog for 2.6 here:

ok, thank you… do you have an ETA on this as I think Twitter closes the old API on the 16th Aug?

We’re working hard on fixing this. So the best answer would be “asap”.

1 Like

Cool, thank you very much, that’s great to hear!

Hi @bruce78 - just to give you a heads up: There are some manual steps to be performed in the Twitter App-Administration views. How to handle those is the only thing blocking us from releasing the changes. We will decide tomorrow how we will approach it and will release the changes afterwards. I’ll post a link here.

@thorsteneckel ok, thank you… I appreciate the update…

Hi @bruce78 sadly we didn’t make it in time :sweat: We’re currently waiting for Twitter to approve one of your accounts as a Dev account so we can proceed with the final QA, documentation etc. However, if you want to speed your migration phase up apply for a Twitter Dev account - which is now mandatory :scream:

I know the feeling, I had the same problem with twitter when I wanted to do the same thing… hopefully they’ll be quicker than facebook though!

Still no response from Twitter so far :frowning_face:

thanks for the update… I think these guys have gone down a similar path to FaceBook in terms of turn around time for new apps…

We’re currently waiting for Twitter to approve one of your accounts as a Dev account so we can proceed with the final QA, documentation etc. However, if you want to speed your migration phase up apply for a Twitter Dev account - which is now mandatory

@thorsteneckel I’m assuming that you have attempted to create a new app to test the new API stuff and got caught up in the need to have a new Twitter Dev account as below?

As of July 2018, you must apply for a Twitter developer account and be approved before you may create new apps. Once approved, you will be able to create new apps from developer.twitter.com.

I’ve updated my main account to a developer account so I guess we’re both waiting for twitter to approve your developer account for testing?

Yes, we’re currently waiting for twitters approval of ours accounts. I tried to upgrade my account, too.

Until now, I didn’t receive any response by twitter, I guess they put themselves under great preassure and workload.