Fatal error when git checkout

Infos:

Yesterday i began to upgrade my selfhosted zammad instance from 5.1.x. But i ran into a problem and wanted to beginn from scratch with the latest backup.
Today i ran into a earlier problem.
I used this updatedinstructions:

• Used Zammad version: 5.1.x
  • Used Zammad installation type: docker-compose
  • Operating system: debian 10.13
  • Browser + version: Firefox 119.1

Expected behavior:

the command: git checkout cd424e98689b8dc49878a37b9aab67192c36fd24
should download all nessecarry files to update zammad to 5.2.3 included Postgresql and Elasticsearch upgrade

Actual behavior:

when i enter the command: git checkout cd424e98689b8dc49878a37b9aab67192c36fd24
I get fatal: reference is not a tree: cd424e98689b8dc49878a37b9aab67192c36fd24

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. open terminal
  2. connect to docker host
  3. change into zammads folder where all the docker-compose files are
  4. enter ā€˜git checkout cd424e98689b8dc49878a37b9aab67192c36fd24ā€™

hello,

is there really no one, who can tell me how to update my zammad instance from 5.1.x to the latest build? the docs are lacking of that since the ā€œgit checkoutā€ command isnā€™t working anymore.
is there another way to update?
Primarily i think the Database- and Elasticsearchupdate is the problem why i cannot update to a newer build.

regards

hello,

how can i update my selfhosted instance from 5.1.x to the current version when the git checkout command is not working anymore?

Hi @luts. What happens if you do a git status? Is git pull working?

1 Like

hello fliebe92,

and thanks for yor reply.

As doumented in the Upgrade-Documentation i used the branch there first.
git status <the branch i would like to pull> is giving me this output.

git status cd424e98689b8dc49878a37b9aab67192c36fd24

On branch master

Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean

and git status gives me this:

git status
On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

modified:   .env
        modified:   .examples/proxy/docker-compose.proxy-example.yml
        modified:   .examples/proxy/docker-compose.yml
        modified:   .github/docker-image-build.sh
        modified:   .github/linters/.markdown-lint.yml
        modified:   .github/stale.yml
        modified:   .github/workflows/ci-remote-image.yaml
        modified:   .github/workflows/ci.yaml
        deleted:    Dockerfile
        modified:   README.md
        deleted:    containers/zammad-elasticsearch/Dockerfile
        deleted:    containers/zammad-postgresql/Dockerfile
        deleted:    containers/zammad-postgresql/backup.sh
        modified:   containers/zammad/Dockerfile
        modified:   containers/zammad/docker-entrypoint.sh
        modified:   containers/zammad/setup.sh
        modified:   docker-compose.override-local.yml
        modified:   docker-compose.override.yml
        modified:   rancher-compose.yml

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

.github/dependabot.yml
        scripts/

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

git pull, pulls the resent release, when i delete the files i changed.

Does this say you something?

In the meantime i have tryed to update my instance step by step an got stuck at version 5.4.1. So i had to restore from a backup but now i get some errors when i start the containers with the last funktioning backup.

zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/graphql-config/node_modules/cosmiconfig/node_modules/.bin/js-yaml" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/gray-matter/node_modules/.bin/js-yaml" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/gray-matter/node_modules/js-yaml/node_modules/.bin/esparse" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/gray-matter/node_modules/js-yaml/node_modules/.bin/esvalidate" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/.bin/jiti" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/.bin/markdown-it" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/.bin/vite" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/.bin/vite-node" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/jsdom/node_modules/.bin/acorn" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/jsdom/node_modules/.bin/escodegen" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/histoire/node_modules/jsdom/node_modules/.bin/esgenerate" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/invariant/node_modules/.bin/loose-envify" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/js-beautify/node_modules/.bin/editorconfig" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/js-beautify/node_modules/.bin/nopt" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/jsdom/node_modules/.bin/acorn" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/jsdom/node_modules/.bin/escodegen" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/jsdom/node_modules/.bin/esgenerate" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/jsonwebtoken/node_modules/.bin/semver" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
zammad-init-1           | rsync: [generator] chgrp "/opt/zammad/node_modules/markdown-it-anchor/node_modules/.bin/markdown-it" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

Any ideas how to solve this?
I restored the backup from a tar-ball. I think the privileges are the same as bevor. So why ā€œOperation not permittedā€

Its frustratingā€¦
So thanks for any help.