Documentation very misleading for packaged installation

hello. I was trying to factory reset zammad installation before going into production. It was a fiasco.
Configuration is quite incorrect, at least for average IT person.
I have Centos 7 with Zammad “3.1.0-1572420711.b7bfdcd4.centos7”, installed with yum.
Documentation says:

sudo systemctl stop zammad
rake db:drop
rake db:create
rake db:migrate
rake db:seed
sudo systemctl start zammad
But this does not work. I lost two hours and almost destroyed Centos installation before I was able to get rid of postgres DB, what was held our data.
It will be very nice, if you can update documentation with real example, or at least mentioned magic “zammad” command, what need to be used.

P.S. Why I wanted to do factory reset? I think, what I did some changes in zammad gui, because customer has capability to change ticket status (panel on the right side of ticket screen). It is good, what customer can close ticket, but available choices are: new, open and close. And I do not know, what will happened, if customer change ticket status to any other than close in the middle of case. So I check with clean install, and this feature was there. Is it a bug? Shold I be warried?

Why are you mixing up package installation with the documentation site for the source code installation? (I guess you’re talking about this page: Install from source — Zammad System Documentation documentation )

Normally we expect non production installations to be source code.
Technically you can do the same with a package installation, the basic “how to use Zammad command” from the console part should be more than enough here:
https://docs.zammad.org/en/latest/admin-console.html

As always, those commands are on your own risk and I’d prefer not to not “hey why not reset your whole installation” on every single page.

This is a -in my opinion- pretty uncommon use case (or at least hits only like 5% of Zammad users)

No that’s intended for open and closed. New normally only is affected as long as the state is new.
You might want to check the following page…:
https://docs.zammad.org/en/latest/console/working-on-tickets.html#limit-available-states-for-customers

Thank you for clearing with P.S. part.
So, you expect, what customer can manually reopen closed case? I was thinking, what any customer feedback to closed case will do this automatically, if this feature is not specifically denied in system.

I did not know, what there is a ideological difference between “place of origin” of Zammad.
And default reset for application is a very needed feature, in case of some “hard to catch or troubleshoot” problem. Full reinstall “from the ground” for whole host is a time consuming process, which can lead to additional problems. Am I correct to assume, what “yum remove zammad” does not remove db data from host, and any following “yum install zammad” will catch and use old db left?

Right now I’m not aware of any application that automatically removes it’s database.
Any way, no. We do not automatically remove databases, but that’s technically not something you need to do via zammad rake commands during a uninstall. Just my 5 cents here.

Also, at any point on most distros you’ll also need to remove /opt/zammad/ to start from scratch.

By default Zammad allows reopening tickets, yes.
If this is not wanted within a specific Group, you can disable this group wise via “follow up possible” (see: Groups — Zammad Admin Documentation documentation ). If follow ups are not possible, this will also deny the customer to change the state from closed to open.

It’s not that uncommon that a customer can decide if his issue has been solved to close the ticket himself. Of course, this greatly depends on your own workflows and stuff.

If needed, you can use the linked documentation part to disable this possibility.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 416 days. New replies are no longer allowed.