Docs for plugins/upgrade-safe modifications?

I’m interested in making some modifications to Zammad to suit our use case a bit better, but I also want to make sure that I keep my code segregated from the main codebase so that it’s relatively upgrade-safe and the points of contact are minimized.

I’ve looked around and found some threads from 2019 that said that at the time there wasn’t really any documentation about the best way to do that. Before I start reading through code myself, I just wanted to check and find out if that had changed. I did a quick look myself and didn’t come up with much, but figured I’d ask in here before I started hacking away.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @awh-tokyo, no, this hasn’t changed. There are no docs available on how to modify the codebase in a upgrade-safe way.

If you’re looking for an intro to the codebase, maybe this helps: https://github.com/zammad/zammad/blob/develop/doc/developer_manual/index.md

I am also very interested in this topic. This would open so much possibilities.

Best regards
Christoph

These two threads where Thorsten took the time to actually answer how addons work should be a very good starting point:

If you search around you should also find a python script that bundles such a package for you on this board from a community member.

You can’t really write upgrade-safe modifications for zammad. The update-cycle is too high and there are also heavy changes incoming in the future, like a complete re-write of the desktop app in Vue.js, typescript + GraphQL which you can already see in the mobile view.

I wrote some short infos about monkey patching here: Monkey Patching of Tutorials

2 Likes