Debian 11 Support

Hi,

is there any info, when Zammad will officially support / provide Debian 11 packages / repository?

Hi @yoursql719 - good question! Surely we will support Debian 11 but our packaging service packager.io doesn’t support it (yet).. There’s the possibility to contribute the support. We haven’t had the need for it yet and are focusing all of our resources to the upcoming 5.0 release.
Once packager.io supports Debian 11 it’s pretty straight forward to add support in Zammad as well. We’re also happy to receive contributions :heart_eyes:

Hope this helps!

Hi

Any news about Debian 11? I can see it is available at https://dl.packager.io/srv/zammad/zammad/stable/installer/debian/11.repo but not yet supported in pkgr.yml

Is it safe to use the 10.repo on Debian 11?

Thanks

Yeah nice URL hacking there.
No it’s not support, we’ll update the documentation accordingly if it is.

Here’s proof in case you distrust me:

You would have also seen on the following URL that it’s not supported by packager:

You could create an issue on packager asking for Debian 11 support if you need it.

Or, as Thorsten already suggested, could try to provide a PR for it:

Absolutely not.
We’re not providing single repos per distribution for fun but because it’s requirements of dependencies.
Don’t.

I’d also like to point out our documentation note here:

Bumping threads on the community for any distribution support does not improve the situation, makes anything faster nor does provide it magically.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick and clear answer, @MrGeneration
I’ve opened a issue: Debian 11 Bullseye · Issue #170 · crohr/pkgr · GitHub

1 Like

Hello!

Since it’s merged there (last November), is Zammad now available on Debian 11?

Ah just seeing that official Zammad documentation is up to date with Debian 11, so I can assume it’s OK now :slight_smile:

I think I found an issue if you want to use SSO when using Zammad 5.0.3 package installation on Debian 11.

Expected behavior:

Following the [Single Sign-On for Kerberos — Zammad documentation](“Install further Apache dependencies” docs to set up SSO) using Debian 11 installs needed dependencies.

Actual behavior:

Debian can’t find installation candidate for libapache2-mod-auth-kerb. Looks like it got removed.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Set up fresh Debian 11 server
  2. Try “apt install krb5-user libapache2-mod-auth-kerb” (from SSO docs)

Edit: Works on Ubuntu 20.0.4 LTS by the way

That’s true. Just keep in mind that it’s no zammad issue per se. The libapache2-mod-auth-kerb package simply isn’t released for bullseye (yet). We ran into that issue with our monitoring software too.

If you know what you're doing

You’re perfectly able to backport the sid package though (Debian -- Details of package libapache2-mod-auth-kerb in sid), at least that’s what we did. As soon as the bullseye package is released one can go back to the stable repo for this.

A small hint in the zammad docs could prevent some confusion i guess. Feel free to create a PR for that.

cheers

Seems like I accidently removed the hint that this is a proof of concept done on a specific Debian version without any warranty. I’ll add this hint back as soon as I find the time for it.

2 Likes

Understandable. Thanks for the quick reply and clarification! I guess I’ll use Ubuntu Server instead of downgrading to Debian 10.

FYI we got SSO working on Debian 11 by using the libapache2-mod-auth-kerb package from the unstable channel. It definetely took some troubleshooting but it’s possible and working well now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.