Debian 11 Support

Hi,

is there any info, when Zammad will officially support / provide Debian 11 packages / repository?

Hi @yoursql719 - good question! Surely we will support Debian 11 but our packaging service packager.io doesnā€™t support it (yet).. Thereā€™s the possibility to contribute the support. We havenā€™t had the need for it yet and are focusing all of our resources to the upcoming 5.0 release.
Once packager.io supports Debian 11 itā€™s pretty straight forward to add support in Zammad as well. Weā€™re also happy to receive contributions :heart_eyes:

Hope this helps!

Hi

Any news about Debian 11? I can see it is available at https://dl.packager.io/srv/zammad/zammad/stable/installer/debian/11.repo but not yet supported in pkgr.yml

Is it safe to use the 10.repo on Debian 11?

Thanks

Yeah nice URL hacking there.
No itā€™s not support, weā€™ll update the documentation accordingly if it is.

Hereā€™s proof in case you distrust me:

You would have also seen on the following URL that itā€™s not supported by packager:

You could create an issue on packager asking for Debian 11 support if you need it.

Or, as Thorsten already suggested, could try to provide a PR for it:

Absolutely not.
Weā€™re not providing single repos per distribution for fun but because itā€™s requirements of dependencies.
Donā€™t.

Iā€™d also like to point out our documentation note here:

Bumping threads on the community for any distribution support does not improve the situation, makes anything faster nor does provide it magically.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick and clear answer, @MrGeneration
Iā€™ve opened a issue: Debian 11 Bullseye Ā· Issue #170 Ā· crohr/pkgr Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Hello!

Since itā€™s merged there (last November), is Zammad now available on Debian 11?

Ah just seeing that official Zammad documentation is up to date with Debian 11, so I can assume itā€™s OK now :slight_smile:

I think I found an issue if you want to use SSO when using Zammad 5.0.3 package installation on Debian 11.

Expected behavior:

Following the [Single Sign-On for Kerberos ā€” Zammad documentation](ā€œInstall further Apache dependenciesā€ docs to set up SSO) using Debian 11 installs needed dependencies.

Actual behavior:

Debian canā€™t find installation candidate for libapache2-mod-auth-kerb. Looks like it got removed.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Set up fresh Debian 11 server
  2. Try ā€œapt install krb5-user libapache2-mod-auth-kerbā€ (from SSO docs)

Edit: Works on Ubuntu 20.0.4 LTS by the way

Thatā€™s true. Just keep in mind that itā€™s no zammad issue per se. The libapache2-mod-auth-kerb package simply isnā€™t released for bullseye (yet). We ran into that issue with our monitoring software too.

If you know what you're doing

Youā€™re perfectly able to backport the sid package though (Debian -- Details of package libapache2-mod-auth-kerb in sid), at least thatā€™s what we did. As soon as the bullseye package is released one can go back to the stable repo for this.

A small hint in the zammad docs could prevent some confusion i guess. Feel free to create a PR for that.

cheers

Seems like I accidently removed the hint that this is a proof of concept done on a specific Debian version without any warranty. Iā€™ll add this hint back as soon as I find the time for it.

2 Likes

Understandable. Thanks for the quick reply and clarification! I guess Iā€™ll use Ubuntu Server instead of downgrading to Debian 10.

FYI we got SSO working on Debian 11 by using the libapache2-mod-auth-kerb package from the unstable channel. It definetely took some troubleshooting but itā€™s possible and working well now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.