Can ApplicationImpersonation be used to access a shared Office 365 mailbox without a separate license?

Is it possible to use ApplicationImpersonation to access a shared Office 365 mailbox that does not have a separate license and does not have its own username? If yes, how can this be achieved, and what precautions need to be taken to ensure that the use of ApplicationImpersonation is secure and authorized?

Why do you want to use applicationimpersonation? Zammad can work with shared 365 mailboxes.

Hi Sal,
Hi All,

how exactly does this work? I haven’t found anything about this. With Basic Authentication back then it was quite simple, the login was done via nutzer.hauptkonto@domain.tld\shared.konto@domain.tld.

Unfortunately, Basic Authentication is no longer supported and we have to switch to Modern Authentication. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a way to do this…

Looking forward to ideas, suggestions and solutions :slight_smile:

Reading the documentation would solve your issue.

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/channels/microsoft365/accounts/account-setup.html

1 Like

Hello MrGeneration, everyone,

Thank you for your quick reply and for referring me to the documentation.

I tried following the steps, but I was unable to find a way to enable SMTP authentication for a shared mailbox. Therefore, it is not currently possible to send emails from this mailbox. However, incoming emails are working fine.

Do you happen to know of a solution for this issue?

UPDATE:
Okay, apparently it is sufficient to temporarily assign a license and activate SMTP Auth in the Office365 console. Is this legally okay, as the mailbox does not have its own license? All users have a valid Office365 license for their own mailboxes.

You should check that. Nobody should give you any legal advice on that. And even if one did you should verify yourself.

I can’t say if it’s legal or not. There is nothing in the licensing agreement stating otherwise. However, Mr. Generation is right. If you want legal advise, best to go to a legal professional.

I have reached out to MS support in the past regarding licensing terms, and the support staff don’t fully understand it either. Which is why it’s best to go to a legal professional.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 360 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.