Updating Zammad From Package

• Used Zammad version: 2.9.0
  • Used Zammad installation type: (source, package, docker-compose, …): Package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04.6
  • Browser + version: Microsoft Edge

Expected behavior: I have used the instructions listed here :Updating Zammad — Zammad documentation for the update from package option and nothing happens, When I systemctl start Zammad the version on the web interface is still 2.9.0.

I would ideally like to update to version 5.0 and know I am meant to update incrementally, But when I follow the instructions it does not update the application.

When I try the ‘apt update’ command with the zammad user I get :

apt update
Reading package lists… Done
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)

When I perform the same with my root user there are no longer any updates to perform, I’m really stumped.

Please help.

You really don’t understand this?
Why would you run apt upgrade as unprivileged user?

Do it as root not as zammad or allow zammad to do that (wouldn’t do it but oh well).
Your description doesn’t really help me to understand what you did exactly as root.

If your system is configured correctly an apt update; apt upgrade would begin the update process of all available packages. That is if your repositories are correct.

While I understand you are inundated with requests, I do not appreciate your condescending tone,
I mentioned at the bottom of the request that I have also tried to perform the update as a root user and it still does not find any Zammad updates.

It’s fine I restored my previous version and i’m installing version 5 on a new machine and migrating my database,
This is why these forums are mute to me, The tone from the pros is just terrible, how do I learn if your first response is to poop on my intelligence.

The manuals need to be updated as they are confusing for a beginer/Intermediate user.

2 Likes

Okay. Thanks for your constructive feedback.
We now know exactly how to tackle the documentation issues! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know that’s probably come of harsh but i think you’re misunderstanding something here.
None of your problems are zammad-specific problems. That’s basic unix admin stuff you should know or should be able to google if you want to host the system yourself. It’s simply not their job to train IT admins hence they provide hosting options.

Anyway i guess you can save yourself some hassle with your migration plan:
By your provided information it sounds like you’ve configured your apt sources to explicitely use the 2.9 repo. That would explain why you can’t find any updates (because there are none: Packages for zammad/zammad).

The docs you linked yourself state that there’s a upgrade path you need to follow:

In case you couldn’t update for a longer time, please ensure to at least update from mayor to mayor version. Big version jumps may work but usually go terribly wrong. As example, expecting the current stable version of Zammad being 5.1 and your instance being on Zammad 2.4, your path would look like so: 2.43.04.05.0latest stable (5.1)

If you are unsure how to do that, someone already asked here:

Furthermore you should read the changelogs of every verison mentioned here to see if there are any breaking changes:

So TL;DR:

1. adjust your apt sources.list
  2. read the changelog of the next version according to the upgrade path
  3. fix any breaking changes
  4. upgrade to the next version according to the upgrade path (as root)
  5. see if your system is working
  6. repeat until on latest stable

Feel free to add any missing information to the docs via PR but keep in mind though that these are zammad admin docs - not unix 101 docs. If you don’t know how to create a PR at least tell them what information is missing where and why.

cheers

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.