Help Translate Zammad to Your Language

Dear Community,

today we’re approaching you because we need your help.

In the past months our developers worked hard to rethink wordings and general messages.
They also removed technical restrictions that would not allow you to translate e.g. long text blocks. Sounds great doesn’t it?!

However, this change comes at a price: Many old translations are no longer valid which means with the upcoming release of Zammad 5.1 we’d currently have a decreased translation coverage.

This is why we would like to ask you to contribute a little of your time to translate Zammad in your native language. By doing so you help us and the community to keep Zammad translated.

If you haven’t heard or signed up already, please feel welcome to register at our translation platform Weblate.
You’ll find translation strings for the upcoming Zammad version - also you’ll find documentation translation strings in case you want to see the documentation in your language. :slight_smile:

What will change with Zammad 5.1 ?

Direct translations and submitting to our global i18n service within Zammad 5.1 will no longer be possible for system strings. You will still have the option to overrule existing translations locally. Of course you will also still be able to add translations to your own custom objects and options!

Thank you for your help!

Best regards / Happy hacking
Martin G

3 Likes

Is there any way to link the translation and the actual(source) KB article?
I’ve already looked into this and sometimes context would be really helpful when translating.

I can’t follow.
Weblate does provide the origins of the string:

If you use the github develop repo and navigate to the file in question, you should also find the source of the string:

What exactly to you mean by “KB article” ?

I was referring to the translation of the (admin) documentation(KB).
The source string here is for example: …/channels/email/accounts/2fa-gmail.rst:0.

Github in that case is: “https://github.com/zammad/zammad-admin-documentation/blob/main/channels/email/accounts/2fa-gmail.rst”

What I meant if it´s possible to click a link in Weblate to open that article directly.

Weblate has a setting in your Profile Settings > Settings called “Editor URL” which seems to be perhaps what you want. Haven’t used it yet, but it should generate a direct link to the source code.

That was actually not correct. The repository browser URL has to be configured in the component, which I just did. Now there should be proper links to the source code on GitHub.

1 Like

Hello,

Is it possible to test the under development translation in a Zammad instance?

Another question: in the old translation system I used to be an approver/reviewer, how can I get this role in the Weblate platform?

Hi Marco,
thanks for your contributions so far! You should have Reviewer permission again, which also allows you to maintain the pt_BR Glossary. :handshake:

For testing, one possible workflow could be:

• download the current state of the language from Weblate as po file.
  • save it locally in the Zammad folder as i18n/zammad.pt-br.po
  • run rails r 'Translation.sync' to import the latest state to the database
  • then it should appear in the GUI

I’ll expand i18n/README.md soon to cover this and also some other aspects.

1 Like

Perfect! @mgruner thanks a lot!

Thanks to many of you the translation progress already has gone quite far!
We’re very grateful for that!

However, we’re afraid some of the available languages did not receive too much love yet.
This may cause a decrease of translated strings in affected languages after Zammads release.

If you wanna help, please go to Sign in @ Zammad-Translations and contribute in your language. :muscle:

Thank you!

Translation status

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.