For people who need help with installation and reporting

So - after a few days, I have Zammad almost exactly as I want it. For reference, we’ll be using Zammad as an IT helpdesk.

Anyway, I made a cheat sheet of my Zammad install as I ended up doing it a few times, so if anyone thinks it might be useful to them, I’d be happy to share it.

I have Zammad 2.7.0, Elasticsearch 5.6.12, PostgreSQL running on an Ubuntu 16.04 VPS with 4 cores and 4GB ram.

I have used LetsEncrypt to for SSL encryption and have scheduled a cronjob to auto renew the certificate every month (although the certificate does last 90 days - but hey).

I wasn’t too happy with the built-in reporting function in Zammad, so I’ve hooked up PowerBI to the PostgreSQL database so I have live data in my reporting at the click of a button. PowerBI is really great for reporting if you want your customers to see nice looking graphs etc…

So yeah, since I’ve ended up reaching out multiple times for help, I thought I’d return the favour for anyone that needs it.

• J

Hellow J! Did you put elasticsearch on the same server as the Zammad installation? I’m trying to keep each one on your own server but I’m out of luck. If yes, can you have a look here Failed to rebuild elastic index after moving service to another host? Any way, It would be great to have a look at your cheat sheet. Thank you!

Hey!
Yes I have Zammad and Elasticsearch running on the same server.
Link to the cheat sheet: https://gopher.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/How-to-install-Zammad.pdf

Oh man, thank you! I’ll try the letsencrypt thing on my server! Right now I’m struggling to get elasticsearch running on a different server. I can’t get Zammad to rebuild index. Thank you again!

Hello J4LKS,

I am very interested in the application. Would you provide your power bi App?

Hi Dimu
I use PowerBI Desktop for my reports.
I couldn’t get the Postgres connector in PowerBI working so instead I downloaded the Postgres ODBC driver from here (latest version is at the bottom, use the x86 version). I entered the details for the postgres database, which I cannot remember where the file is, but on the server there is a config file in Zammad, you’ll need to find it and opwn it and it will give you the username and password for your database. IT only took me a few minutes to find it though.
In PowerBI connect to the DB then add the tables you want (don’t add all of them, just what you need).
In PowerBI, make sure you remove all the relationships between the tables and put them in yourself as PowerBI does a terrible job of trying to do it on it’s own.
Then begin making reports. The whole process took me about 15 minutes to set up once I knew what I was doing.

Hello J44LKS,

thank you so much for your help. This will help me for the start.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.