Custom plugin to parse ticket content

I would like to scan an incoming ticket and display on the right side some checkboxes and/or a tree with some checkboxes. The amount of the checkboxes depends on the processed content. On each click on a checkbox the result of the form should be saved.

Is that possible? If so, how?

Thanks

No one? Could anybody give me hint?

There currently is no finished development documentation.
So to “If so” -> Yes
To “How?” -> I can’t answer.

Hmm, really interesting. You’re one of the core developer and you can’t give me a hint how to extend Zammad with a simple plugin? Really?

Maybe because I aint a developer? :wink:

Aha. Ok. What about some docs for “Packages”?

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/system-packages.html

1 Like

As there currently aren’t any public Packages, there’s not really something to put there to be honest.
A how to develop would be the wrong place at this point as well.

Edit: @thorsteneckel might be able to give you hints when he finds some spare time (he is really busy at the moment so please bear with us)

Hmm, so you’re not interested into a documentation of how to extend Zammad as you’re mainly interested to get as much as possible customer for the paid service zammad.com. I see…

Wow. Just wow.

Actually what’s keeping Zammad developed and is paying us is exactly those people wanting custom developments, paying for service contracts or hosting services.

I never said (EVER) that we don’t want to put things on our documentation, I simply told you that this is the wrong place! Our devs are working on a developer documentation, but it is simply not ready for being public!

And do explain why the page you linked is wrong:
The page you linked is located within our administrator documentation for those who administrate Zammad via it’s WebApp. It’s no place for “development” stuff, as it really is out of scope of this documentation Part.

User-Documentation is for the agents, so the frontend on how to use Zammad as daily tool.

Last but not least docs is the system admin (so the guy on the console) documentation which gives insights to console stuff and API magic.

We at Zammad are working hard for the product, we’re kind of living for it and most of us even spend their free time on helping you guys in the community, taking a look at bugs and stuff. To me the above is an insult, as I love this product and I’m standing behind it completely.

5 Likes

Sorry. I didn’t know that I could hurt someone with such a kind of question. It’s not my intension to hurt someone. I know that software development is hard and a time consuming peace of work.

I’ve spend a lot of time to search and read a lot of documentation but I found nothing about how Zammad could be expanded with a kind of plugin. I don’t want to fork the project and implement my own logic…

That’s all…

2 Likes

Let’s wait for Thorsten to find some spare time, I’m sure he is able to help you with starting your own addon.

1 Like

Hi @Coder - Sorry to say that we lack of a proper development documentation. To make things clear there is no such thing as a secret development manual. The code, the comments in it and the knowledge in our heads is all we got. However, we’re giving our best to extract it and put it into a reasonable form so that anyone can profit from it. Actually we’re planning to have like an example app that shows how to extend Zammad in detail. Until then all we can offer is to answer specific questions here in the board. This might take some time because our paying customers have the highest priority to us. That doesn’t come from some kind of grief but the fact that it pays our bills (server costs, improving the product, bread on our table and so on). The freedom that we gain from the financial support of our customers is put 100% in various forms of community work. However, this time is actually pretty limited and we try to use it as effective as possible. This means that we solve the problems that affect the majority of our user base. Having a decent development documentation is (unfortunately) not that high on the list. That doesn’t mean that it’s not important to us, so this is why @MrGeneration and I putting time and effort in this and other requests. It would be great to know that this isn’t time wasted and maybe you on the other hand can give something back in any kind of way (pull requests, community board posts, blog posts, documentation enhancements etc.). We’re really grateful for any kind of contribution from the community.

After things are more clear now I’d like to go more into detail of your question and try to answer it. So what you’ve planned is a more advanced extension and requires some experience in web technologies. I’d recommend you to actually extend the Zammad code itself first before extracting the logic into a dedicated extension. Zammad allows you to have custom kind of Model (e.g. Ticket, User etc.) attributes which are known as ObjectManager::Attributes. There are already various types available. However, a checklist is not. So you’d need to implement one yourself. I’d recommend to have a look at the existing ones and figure things out yourself. A good point of start would be the tree_select attribute type which has a pretty unique name and contains advanced logic. However, you can find inspiration in any available attribute type. When questions arise, feel free to ask. I’m happy to answer them as fast as I can.

:rocket:

PS: I understand that you don’t meant it that way and it’s kind of frustrating not finding any information when trying to solve a problem (yourself) and I appreciate that you’ve got the courage to say sorry. Kudos for that. But I want to second what @MrGeneration already stated - please be kind and respectful with each other. Let’s move together in one direction. Thanks!

8 Likes

I just think it’s great that Zammad (the company) has decided to open source such a big part of their product and are helping people use it. They’re one of the few ones that do this at all with this kind of product and to my knowledge the only one that does it to this degree. Some other organisations let their open source version lag behind years or have a very slimmed down community edition and try to upsell hard like that.

This attitude is what gives me trust in both Zammad the company and Zammad the open source project, for long term.

13 Likes