Advice on updating

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 3.1
  • Used Zammad installation source: (source, package, …) deb
  • Operating system: deb 9

Hi, we’re using Zammad with a small team (2-3 people) and want to expand to 10-15 people (agents).
We’re running Zammad 3.1 with ElasticSearch 5.6.16.

I wonder if I need to upgrade to a newer ES version to be future ready? Because you need to be a goddamn expert to get that ElasticSearch working. I tried so many things to upgrade to a newer version, no dice at all. I already spend way to many hours researching ES and upgrade paths, trying to get to 7.4.2 but I keep getting errors when building the index on different version versions higher then 5.6.16…

Our logs are full of error’s like this:
[2019-10-01T18:07:52,096][DEBUG][o.e.a.b.TransportBulkAction] [sZ_iGZH] failed to execute pipeline [zammad172706490976] for document [zammad_production_stats_store/_doc/3]

So what are we missing out with newer ES versions and how will this affect zammad?

Well yes it makes sense, because Elasticsearch 5.6 has reached end of life in March.

You need at least one step in between the version upgrade as stated in this document:

If that doesn’t work and you don’t use ES for other than Zammad, you can also remove the old package with all their data directories and configs. Start new if needed (last resord and quite destructive, but works).

Beside security updates? :slight_smile:
You can use antive authentication with elasticsearch now if needed and well, tweaks and magic. :slight_smile:

Yeah, doesn’t seem that great that 5.6 is already EOL :grimacing:
I followed the upgrade path, I got the errors when I went from from 5.6 to 6.8.

Just purging ES and reinstalling won’t have a lot of effect if I don’t delete the data I guess?
Installing ES never has been the problem but getting my data the show has. Kinda weird since I don’t have any troubles on 5.6.16.

Hooray for security updates and magic… :heart_eyes:

Started trying to make the rolling upgrade work, got stuck again with several errors. Was so pissed I just removed ElasticSearch and its directories (I could always put a snapshot back :yum:)

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove elasticsearch
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/elasticsearch/
sudo rm -rf /etc/elasticsearch

I was surprised that this command also removed zammad.
So after installing zammad & ES and configuring zammad and ES again (Let’s encrypt, my fix for O365 login,…) it seems all is good!

afbeelding

What a ride…

1 Like

Hooray for totally destroyal :smiley:
Gladly a normal remove of Zammad doesn’t remove database and data directories… :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.