Some issues with Translations

• Used Zammad version: 2.6
  • Used Zammad installation source: DEB
  • Operating system: ubuntu:16.04
  • Browser + version: FF 61.0.2 (64-Bit), Chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Just some observations regarding Zammad’s Translation feature:

grafik

The screenshot above tells me to use “ctrl+alt+t” to enter translation mode, while the keyboard shortcut popup mentions “shift+ctrl+t”. Shift+Ctrl+t used to work well for me, but doesn’t seem to work for me any more, neither in FF, nor in Chrome. I checked if there’s a global shortcut on my system, which might have overriden this one, but there’s not (Windows). I have no idea why it doesn’t work for me any more.

So I went into the settings (again, screenshot above) and thought I could just add a new phrase (I wanted to translate the title of an Overview I just added). As you can see in the screenshot I could not read the buttons in full, and because it is Monday, and I was too lazy to resize my browser window, I just clicked the red button. So, what I learned was, that, clicking the red button resets any previous translations without asking for confirmation. I believe it’s good practice to require a confirmation on non-reversable transactions, so my suggestion would be to add an “Are you sure” confirmation here.

The next thing I had to learn, was, that the green button, which in German reads “Letzte Übersetzung laden” does not load the previous translation (I was hoping to be able to undo my reset…), it loads the newest translations over the web. I’m sure the original English caption of this button is “Load latest translations”, which could be translated into German as “Neueste Übersetzungen laden”, not “Letzte Übersetzungen”, which is a little mis-leading.

Finally, I assume there’s no easy way for me to add a new phrase to Translations, right? Any idea why the inline translator doesn’t work for me (Ctrl+Shift+t)? Thx!

In my Firefox this shortcut works, on Chrome it never really did as it closed tabs on my end.

As for adding new translation strings to Zammad, the following link might suite your need:
https://docs.zammad.org/en/latest/admin-console.html#add-translation

Shift + Ctrl + T works for me too in Firefox. Although it interferes with the default Firefox shortcut to reopen the last closed tab… :confused:

Thanks for pointing me to the right docs. The example did not work out of the box, so I updated the docs and posted a PR. Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.