[solved] Zammad Migration to new Server

Hey there,
I just tested the new version of Zammad on a new server. So far everything is working fine. I installed PostgreSQL as the new database, since it was advised in the documentation. We also have a live server with different settings. We used MySQL on the old one because of another software running on the server. Another difference is, that the new server is running Ubuntu 18.04 instead of the previous 16.04 like the old server. Also the Zammad version does not match anymore.

I found this thread for migrating your environment to a new server, but I’m curious if these steps also apply for this. (Migrating Zammad environment to new server)

Has someone experience with such a migration? Is it even possible to migrate the old environment to the new server without problems? And if so, could someone help me out?

I guess the steps in the thread posted above still apply, but I have to convert the MySQL dump to a PostgreSQL as an additional step.

Old server:

• Used Zammad version: 2.5.0
  • Used Zammad installation source: package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04
  • Database: MySQL 5.7.22

New server:

• Used Zammad version: 2.8
  • Used Zammad installation source: package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04
  • Database: PostgreSQL 10.6

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the hood!

I’m afraid, migration between both database systems won’t be covered and possible without conversion.
We do not provide any conversion scripts, as this needs manual validations and hands on.
(We do provide conversion services if needed, but that might get a bit expensive, you might want to stick with MySQL in your case)

The Zammad-Version on the destination system has to be the same Zammad version or higher.
The guide from hannes will fully apply - you just can’t use it on different database server types. (so your DB type has to match on both systems, version doesn’t matter too much)

Bests

Thanks for the quick reply!

Alright, I’ll get my hands on it on our next maintenance and report if everything went smooth.

1 Like

A quick update for everyone.
I couldn’t workout a good way to convert the databases without problems. Therefore I installed MySQL on the new server, configured Zammad to use MySQL instead of postgreSQL, uninstalled postgreSQL and imported the MySQL dump from the old one. I still had some problems with elasticsearch but a quick research helped me identify the problem. I had to rebuild the search index ( zammad run rake searchindex:rebuild). So far it works great :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help again.

1 Like

Amazing, thanks for your feedback, glad it worked in the end! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.