[solved] Issue sending notifications after Update 5.3.1 > 5.4.1 while test works

We have updated Zammad 5.3.1 to the current latest 5.4.1 on Ubuntu 20 LTS.
No we face the error while sending mails. For incoming mails we use O365, for outgoing mails (notifications) we use normal mail (smtp) with an office365 account.
We can configure it normally, the testmail is send and the dialog saves the settings normally. Then, after a minute, we reveive this error message:

Can’t use Channel::Driver::Smtp: #<NameError: undefined local variable or method `logger’ for Channel::EmailBuild:Module logger.error e ^^^^^^>

Sending by smtp for the account is enabled and works. I assume there is something else which causes the problem.
I found the same message also in the production log:
E, [2023-04-25T08:19:06.505413#842-112340] ERROR – : undefined local variable or method logger' for Channel::EmailBuild:Module E, [2023-04-25T08:19:06.560404#842-112340] ERROR -- : Can't use Channel::Driver::Smtp: #<NameError: undefined local variable or method logger’ for Channel::EmailBuild:Module

I have also searched for this error message, but the infos seem to be very old. One hint i had found was reindexing the search, which i had started and has also finished without any errors.
Finally i restarted the zammad service, but the error remains.

Any suggestions or hints i can follow up?

I assume i found the issue:
We have modified the /opt/zammad/app/views/mailer/application_wrapper.html.erb for a better looking company signature. In the file there had been some umlauts which did not make any problems in the past, but since restoring the file back to the server after comparing the changes between our and the original, the characters had been screwed up by a codepage conflict and might have cause the problem.
I replaced all screwed umlauts with nano and just a minute later, the system begann to process the outstanding mails.

The other possible explanation could be a issue with our office265 tenant which is very unlikely but not impossible yet.

@Zammad Team: Final question about this topic
Is it possible that a screwed character in the mentioned file could break the processing of mails?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.