Problem after Updating to Ubunto 18.04

Used Zammad version: 3.3.0
Operating system: Ubunto 18.04 (Updatet from 16.x)

I just did an Zammad Update to 3.3.0 which worked fine. After that I also did update from Ubunto 16.x to 18.04.
After that when i open the URL I can only see the Nginx standard Page, but no Zammad page.
The Zammad Nginx config looks normal it has the right IP etc.

I really dont know what else to look for.

you can check all the status of zammad and nginx if running and you can also manually start

but for me… for server and less downtime my practice is migrating the server to fresh installed new ubuntu version and not to update because possibly you encountered dependencies/repo version issue dont know :smiley: hehe …

For me…
update your zammad in 16.04 ubuntu
backup your zammad
restore in fresh installed 18.04 ubuntu
is more easy and less downtime

thank you

I allready restartet everything. What can I do?

I beleive that something is missconfigured I am actually not landing stright on the nginx page instead on a apache page:

Index of /
[ICO] Name Last modified Size Description
[TXT] index.nginx-debian.html 2018-11-12 21:58 612
Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) Server at 192.168.2.7 Port 80

Then I can click on index.nginx-debian.html which directs me to the nginx root page.

I also re-ched all 4 service status, everything works.

With sudo systemctl restart nginx I get a
"Job for nginx.service failed because the controll process exited with error code.

With sudo systemctl status nginx.service
I get
failed - result exit-code

Try to re install nginx or check the configuration of zammad config file.

or

I suggest to restore your zamamd backup to fresh installed Ubuntu18.04 is more faster than to troubleshoot

Thanks so far.

I just tried to run a backup trough console but it tells me that
-i have a wrong password (so what is it actually for postgresql?
-it tells me: cannot start /tmp/…_zammad_db.psql:gz: no such directory

So my guessing is that postgree SQL is not installed right.

So what should I do to reinstall it?
Otherwise I dont even have a backup.

I tried the last 2 days to repair the old installation but I could only get so far, that I see the login page but it refuses the login. I found 3 long threads about this and how to solve it, but nothing helped.

So I installed a new machine with 18.04 and the initial seutp worked well, after I migtrated DB and the directory package I get the same error, I cannot login. I changed the password for all user several times, but no chance!

This really gets frustrating…

Please Help

What else can I do?

Please provide your webservers vhost configuration.
Ensure you don’t have two webservers fighting for a port.

So in short: Verify what webserver you really are using and provide that vhosts configuration then.

Otherwise nobdoy will be able to help you.

Sure, please just tell me what exact data do you need an where to find them (which Files).

Its a Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop version which is running on VM Workstation right now (just took it home from Vsphere). It has 8GB Ram und 2 Cores.

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 straight from the HowTo Doc from the Zammad manual. The installation went straight, no Problems and I could start the initial Zammad startup procedure which went fine.

After that I did shut down Zammad from the old broken Server like in the migration manual explained and transfeered the Backup to the new machine to restore DB and Files. After that I also changed the SQL PW, which did not helped.

The old machine was upgraded from 16.04 with 3.3 to 18.04 by accident and after that it refused loading the GUI I anly see the Apache Page which directs to NGINX startpage.
The DB is PostgreSQL and I allways use Firefox but for testing also IE etc. ElasticSearch is the latest Version on teh new Server and on the old its 1 year old.

Sorry but if you can’t realibly tell me which webserver you are using (because it feels like you have both installed and one of both is running, the other not), I can’t tell you where to look at.

I can help you with little things or Zammad related stuff, but right now this feels like a general issue with your setup. Please find out which webserver is listening on the ports you’ll be using and ensure - especially if you take a productive system home on another virtualization thingie - that your vHost configuration of your webserver allows you to talk to it in a different way.

vHosts can react very differently - directing your request to an IP can always bring up other results than using DNS names etc etc.

I am sorry, I guess my text was not clear an I cofused you.

It is and was sitting in a VM and during the whole time I am testing loged in as a desktop user with “localhost” in Firefox. I am not adressing from outside (during my tests). Also as I sayed Its a fresh installation which worked fine untill I restored Zammad from the old machine which was broken after I upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04 by mistake.
So its running NGINX fine (this was the broken part on the old one) and I can get to the login in part which refuses the login.
So where can I find logs which exactly tell me what is refusing the login?

What would hapen, if I restore just the SQL part from the old machine but the directory part from a backup from the new machine?

I did a few things like chking the DB PW but I cant find any problem in it.

When I go to the Zammad logs it allways sayes:
error id xxxxx: CSFR token verification failed!
Completed 401 authorisation in 2ms (views: 0,1ms | ActivRecord 0.5ms)

I know that this CSFR Token error after Updates has several threads in the forum, but non of the tips helped to fix it.

I just did another test: I switched back to a snapshoot of a initial Zammad install and did a backup, then Im tried to restore with the directory I jts backuped and the old DB file.
Same thing.

So there must be something in the DB that refused the login etc.

Today I could manage to login into the databse and switched from HTTPS to HTTP.

After a reload I could login, so its something with HTTPS.

Would be nice if in the manuall there would a section which explain how to switch from https to http in the console. Took me an hour to find then right database editor and the right table.

If someone has the same problem that you cant login after a fresh install to restore the old database.

Install Datagrip and in opt/zammad/config/database.yml you find the PW for the database ZAMMAD which you need to locate in the DataGrip App. Inthere after some time you find the settings table, there you find the setting for HTTPS. You need to extend the view several times to see all data.

I will try to find the HTTP setup problem later and will post it here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.