Many users will be created automatically

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 5.0.3
  • Used Zammad installation type: package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu
  • Browser + version: Firefox 96

Actual behavior:

• After receiving each email, a new user is created unnecessarily.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• is there a way to prevent that after receiving each email, no new user / customer is created.

This causes problems that makes the user database full when receiving each email, because they come from different addresses. e.g. if the emails come from external sources. These do not need to be a single user in Zammad

Hi, @7qubit . Just a question, how do you intend to reply to a customer if he does not exist?

not at all, they are e.g. fax messages, which come in from Sender-fax-No@ in the ticket system, or fallback emails, which also have always different senders.

Apart from filling the user database, they also make user selection for phone or email tickets difficult, since normally the address book is from LDAP, no local users are managed, it is also not necessary that the system creates a user in the local user database for each email entry.

Understood, have you tried to apply a filter in your mail account (Settings > Channels > Mail > Filter)?

EDIT: I tried this but didn’t work, the user is still being created.

I was able to filter some emails coming from certain domains by always assigning them to a specific customer. But it is really difficult to filter every single email. For each info mail a user is created which is also listed under contacts.

You can imagine different scenarios, e.g. if I make an external support request from Zammad and a notification comes back from Noreply@, it will also be created as a user, and so on.

EDIT: I rejoiced too quickly, you can change user but email address not. and Onhand email address is still created a user.

1 Like

I feel you, my user database is also very cluttered with useless users but it’s a core part of their concept. Zammad needs to create a user so it can assign the incoming ticket to this user and send him the autoreply e-mail. That’s just how it’s designed.
I would also like some changes to this concept like allowing one user object to have additional e-mail addresses because in reality that is very often the case, and that cc e-mail recipients are not created as users, but those changes will most likely never come so we have to accept it the way it is. A scheduled task to delete users that don’t have any tickets associated with them would also help but there is no way I know of to build such a task.

I can automate the deletion with Scheduler. So a lot, you have to play around with it and test.

I also understand that the users, tickets and articles, are application-technically and database-technically connected. But I think this can lead to problems. We are all here to improve something, I hope that now the problem for developers is addressed.

I believe the solution for this would be Zammad to process the filter before creating the ticket, but as you said, it’s a different concept.

How? I can only see the option to delete a ticket not a user, and there is no way to check if a user has tickets assigned to them or not in the scheduler.

look screenshot, I have a group and the tickets in this group are deleted every 14 days.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.