LDAP Usernames are to long?

Infos:

Important:
If you are a Zammad Support or hosted customer and experience a technical issue, please refer to: support@zammad.com using your zammad-hostname / or company contract.

• Used Zammad version: 2.8.x
  • Used Zammad installation source: (source, package, …) APT
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04
  • Browser + version: Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Expected behavior:

• LDAP Username is copied to Zammad as is in the Windows Domain

Actual behavior:

• LDAP Username seems to be cut at 20 characters

I have a lot of User with a realy long Surname and a long first name e.g. Karl-Gustav Müller-Lüdenscheid, our Domain policy says: the windowsuser name is build from the surnamen and the firstname separeted by a dot, (and Umlauts are converted to ue,ae,oe, so that even a dumb OS or Software wich disregards that there are more languages that englisch can handle the username) so the user name is mueller-luedenscheid.karl-gustav. After Syncing it to Zammad the username in the Userlist of Zammad is: mueller-luedenscheid (without the .karl-gustav). So the username is not the same as in Active Directory.

Is there a way to have longer usernames? Or do we need to change our policy to fit 20 characters :wink: ?

I also just realized that the user list doesnt show all users. I have 140 Users and not all are shown in the list. When i perform a search, the system finds them!

That’s a bug:

As for username lenght, this is a limitation “pre Windows 2000” and it seems that LDAP returns exactly that username to Zammad, which is why you end up loosing every character after 20 signs.
To be honest, until now I never saw any LDAP with users with such big login names.

Edit: Not sure how @thorsteneckel thinks about it, but I doubt we can do something about that.

Yes, you are rigth, as i can see now (its a new Testdomain and no one is working in it now), sAMAccountName is limited to 20 characters :man_facepalming:
Well we need to change our policy then :blush:
But why dont i see ALL users that are synced through LDAP?

Because this is a “bug” that’s causing Zammad not to load all users for performance reasons (see the github issue I linked). :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.