[solved] Host not reachable - can't set e-mail account for user group, but for notifications

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 2.9.x
  • Used Zammad installation source: Package (not sure if this is correct, sorry. I used these instructions: https://docs.zammad.org/en/latest/install-ubuntu.html, so I guess it’s package)
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
  • Browser + version: Firefox ESR 60.6.0, MS Edge 44.17763.1.0, Internet Explorer 11.437.17763.0

Expected behavior:

• Configuring an mail account under Channels -> E-Mail -> Accounts -> Email Accounts -> New should be possible, since I use the same host for E-Mail Notifications.

Actual behavior:

• Configuring a mail account is impossible. After entering a valid user’s credentials (I checked on our DC if the account was locked or the password expired), Zammad tells me that manual configuration is needed, because it can’t detect my server settings. After entering the same host name that is used for notifications I get the error message Host not reachable! This is independent from whether I choose IMAP or POP3. Error occurs with and without SSL. The password is valid. Outgoing notifications work if the customer himself changes the ticket, but for other notifications I have to set up this e-mail account, since Agent notifications for new tickets seem to not be working. That’s what I understood from reading the documentation and some posts here, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

//EDIT: Can I set up notifications for customers as well? As an Admin, I ticked the checkbox for notifications for customers, but when looking at a customer’s view and going to his personal settings, there are no notification settings available.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• Simply try to configure an E-Mail account.

Well did you ensure that your host can actually get in contact with your mail host?

This leads us to: Try pinging the host, looking it’s hostname up and maybe even try to reach it via telnet on the port you try to reach.

Ensure your firewall is not in your way.

You can use Triggers to inform customers about changes.

1 Like

Yes I did. I’m using the same host for our Agent Notifications which work totally fine. I guess the problem lies within POP3 or IMAP, which is not configured as a send connector on our Exchange Server 2016 as we mainly use SMTP. SMTP is not available for E-Mail Account configuration, which seems intentional.

Isn’t it necessary to set this E-Mail Account to send mails via trigger as well?

Hey @Kara-T,

you’re mixing things up here. Neither POP3 nor IMAP are used to send mails. These protocols are used to retreive mails. You’re still sending mails via SMTP.

In zammad you need to configure both for any email account (except notifications).

Ensure that you’re able to retreive mails from your Exchange via IMAP or POP3 and that you’re able to send mails via SMTP.

cheers

2 Likes

Tipp: POP3 and IMAP usually need to be enabled and the services to be started manually.

1 Like

Thank you guys for your help and input to clear things up for me a little more!

What I am still wondering is: do I really have to set up a retreiving e-mail account (E-Mail channel) in order to simply be able to notify customers?
I’m asking because I just tried setting up a trigger that notifies myself (customer) when a ticket gets updated, without any other conditions to be fulfilled besides “Aktion ist aktualisiert” (Action is updated), but no mail was sent. There is also nothing in the ticket’s history besides the usual notifications that are sent to all agents.

Again, thank you very much for your time and effort!

//EDIT: I know what I have to do now and ignore my last question. I’ve read that Zammad skips the trigger if no E-Mail is configured for a group. Can I close my own topics and mark them as solved?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.