Exchange Online will deprecate basic auth

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 5.2.x
  • Used Zammad installation type: (source, package, docker-compose, …): Ubuntu package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04
  • Browser + version: Firefox latest

Expected behavior:

• Be able to interact with Exchange Online once they deprecate basic auth connections.

Zammad needs to enable oauth conection to IMAP/POP

Actual behavior:

• Zammad uses basic auth and is unable to log to an Exchange Online account if basic auth has been deprecated.

As stated on Basic Authentication Deprecation in Exchange Online – May 2022 Update - Microsoft Tech Community

Microsoft is randomly disablig basic auth connection of batches of their tenants. They offer the option to re-enable it but just until October, 1st, 2022

Zammad needs to enable oauth authentication to be able to continue working with companies that have Exchange Online as their email service.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

You can connect your email channel to Microsoft 365. Are you talking about the system notifications?

1 Like

As of today it depends if you are one of the β€œvictims” ramdomly chosen by Microsoft to disable basic auth or not.

Referred documentation explains it in detail (Basic Authentication Deprecation in Exchange Online – May 2022 Update - Microsoft Tech Community)

In any case October, 1st 2022 basic auth will be deprecated for all tenats in Exchange Online

KR

I think you missunderstood Aidans answer.
Zammad provides an alternative to basic auth since over 2 years now.

Microsoft just as google postponed the migration away from basic auth due to Corona 2020.
The documentation has affected installations covered since the same time period and since roughly 4 months also covers migration in more detail.

TL;DR: Zammad support XOAUTH for the affected providers since ages. IMAP only through.

Clearly I did, sorry. Did not know there was a special channel for Microsoft 365.

Will migrate right away.

Thanks for the help @AidanA and @MrGeneration!

Got an issue migrating!

A Migrate now button should appear on the email channel

But no such button appears on my case, so I do not know how to start the process

I have tried setting up the account on Microsoft365 channel but it fails, apparently due to being duplicated both on the Email and Microsoft365 channels

Can I delete the email channel account and then set it up on the Microsoft365 channel?

Please read the documentation. Your configuration does not fit the expactation.

Hmmm see what you mean, smtp.office365.com needs to be also in the account and not only in Email Notification.

I have modified it and migrated the account.

Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.