Email reply leaks agent name

Infos:

• Used Zammad version: 5.2.1
  • Used Zammad installation type: package
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04
  • Browser + version: MS Edge 105.0.1343.27

Expected behavior:

• Replying to a mail from an agent to a customer uses the FROM field as specified mail setup.

Actual behavior:

• The FROM field in the quoted mail displays the agents full name. This exposes the agent name even if the config specifies using system-address.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• Change sender format to system-address
  • Reply to a customers mail
  • Reply to this reply
  • Check quoted first line

I am not sure if this is the intended behavior or a bug but I suggest to use the same for the reply as the customer received.

Hi, you are right, by quoting shows the name of the agent.
I don’t see an issue there unless you use some kind of white labeling.

I simply remove the line before I send an email.
But I can see the use case that someone wants to keep the line in, since it shows a time stamp and the name of the agent.

Thank you for your reply. You could teach every agent that he has to update or remove that line but I think this should not be required.
Especially since the Zammad instance is configured to only show the system-address as FROM field. This behavior leaks the complete real name from the previous agent even it is explicitly disabled.

IMHO Zammad should take the setting also for replies to agent mails into account.

You can disable the quote header (globally as an admin) do achieve this:

https://admin-docs.zammad.org/en/latest/misc/composer.html

The difference:
vs

Thank you for the hint to the settings. But doesn’t this only handle the symptoms and not the source?

e.g. if a customer would reply to the ticket via mail he would get something like:

On Wednesday, 22 June 2022 at 09:44:14, Company XYZ wrote:

*Depending on the used mail client and language.
This is exactly how we configured the zammad instance.

But if an agent replies to a previous agent mail in zammad he would get something like

On Wednesday, 22 June 2022 at 09:44:14, Agent ABC wrote:

Resulting in the agents name exposed. Isn’t zammad aware that the message which we reply to was from an agent? If so, shouldn’t zammad use the setting from the instance/group?

Look, Zammad no where claims that this is going to happen. The setting text says this:

Enable if you want a timestamped reply header to be automatically inserted in front of quoted messages.

And the setting you refer to says this:

Defines how the From field of emails (sent from answers and email tickets) should look like.

It speaks about the “From field” which clearly is not what the quote header is about.
If you think that should be improved, you may want to create a feature request here:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.