Custom code folders and post update CSS code questions

Hi!
I know that there’s a official way to customize CSS and i’ve managed to apply it (/app/stylesheets/custom, rake comand, restart) but i’ve noticed that changes are not re-applied after and update even though file has not been rewrittern.
They’re back online when i re-run the rake assets:precompile.
Is this a bug or is it this expected behaviour? Doesn’t the update procedure runs the assets:precompile in case of core css updates?

I’ve noticed that there’s no custom folder in javascript so I expect every code in that folder to be re-written but inside public i’ve noticed a folder called “addons”.

Is there a designated folder for addons aswell?

Thanks!

Sorry but are you asking questions here or trying to boost your blog posts?
I’m really confused here.

As to your question

Yes, this is expected behavior and not a bug.

Yes and no. That depends on the installation method and thus the required update steps to do.
Package installations come with pre combiled assets shipped already and thus do not require pre compiling after updating (on vanilla installations).

Thanks for the answers!
I’ve deleted the link, i just wanted to be of service to the community!

About the last question do you have any input?

I’ve noticed that there’s no custom folder in javascript so I expect every code in that folder to be re-written but inside public i’ve noticed a folder called “addons”.
Is there a designated folder for addons aswell?

I cannot answer this question sorry.

For custom javascript snippets I was successful in creating a folder in app/assets/javascripts/app/lib/base/custom/ and placing javascript files there.

This works as everything inside base gets loaded as the final import in application.js.

You can do small useful things with this, but for more complex addons, actual packages are much more flexible. I did not have any issues so far with updating the Zammad package and running the rake commands after, but of course your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!!!
I’ll have a look into this and maybe work out a tutorial for the community.
Thanks again!