- Used Zammad version: 2.9.x
- Used Zammad installation source: docker-compose
- Operating system: Debian 9
- Browser + version: Chrome 74
We use Redmine as a bugtracker for our development projects. A redmine ticket for a developer can be related to a Zammad ticket that has been created by a customer, and therefore we’ve added a custom field “Zammad ticket” to our Redmine instance. It accepts Zammad ticket numbers in the format
Ticket# 965715, and when a developer clicks on the ticket number, the ticket should be opened in Zammad.
Unfortunately Zammad uses the internal ticket ID in the URL instead, so e.g. for
Ticket#965715, the correct URL is actually
https://zammad.ourcompany.tld/#ticket/zoom/571. Zammad doesn’t seem to accept the ticket number instead;
https://zammad.ourcompany.tld/#ticket/zoom/Ticket#965715 doesn’t work.
The only workaround I’ve found so far is to use the search as an intermediate step. The following works, but not very well: https://zammad.ourcompany.tld/#search/number:965715
This opens a search with the ticket as the only result, but it has a huge disadvantage: when you leave the search tab in Zammad open (the
number:965715 tab on the left), and then later follow a different search link (let’s say https://zammad.ourcompany.tld/#search/number:123), Zammad will not refresh the search - it’ll say “number:123” in the big white search bar, but it won’t actually search, so the tab on the left will still say “number:965715” and you’ll still see the old search results. You have to click into the white search bar and press Return to force a new search.
(This might be slightly related to https://github.com/zammad/zammad/issues/1050 , but OP wants Zammad to use ticket numbers instead of IDs in its own URLs, which seems infeasible to me as these ticket IDs might change due to configuration changes. I only want to be able to use ticket numbers in links, I don’t actually want to change how Zammad works )
- Linking to a ticket with the ticket number instead of the ID should show the requested ticket.
- Linking to a ticket with the ticket number doesn’t seem possible.
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
Attempt to link to a ticket with the ticket number instead of the ID, e.g.